Singer Anu Malik, who has been accused of sexual misconduct, was no longer part of the jury panel of the singing-based reality show “Indian Idol” season 10, according to an official statement on Sunday.
The statement from Sony Entertainment Television channel said: “Anu Malik is no longer a part of the ‘Indian Idol’ jury panel. The show will continue its planned schedule and we will invite some of the biggest names in Indian music as guests to join Vishal Dadlani and Neha Kakkar to judge the extraordinary talent of ‘Indian Idol’ season 10.”
According to a report in Pinkvilla, Anu Malik said that he has decided to take a break from Indian Idol as he is currently unable to focus on his work.
Singer Sona Mohapatra and later, Shweta Pandit accused the 57-year-old music composer of sexual harassment. Two aspiring singers also levelled similar allegations against him recently.
Last week, Shweta Pandit, in a Twitter post, recounted her #MeToo story in an incident which dates back to 2000. She alleged that once in a cabin at a studio, Anu Malik told her he would give her a song with Sunidhi Chauhan and Shaan “but first give me a kiss now”. She also called him a “pedophile” and “sexual predator.”
Had to go back to my worst memory as a teenage girl today to write this and speak up – its now or never. This is my #MeToo and have to warn young girls about #AnuMalik & let you know your #TimesUp @IndiaMeToo
Thank you @sonamohapatra for speaking up about him & supporting this pic.twitter.com/e261pGQyEq
— Shweta Pandit (@ShwetaPandit7) October 17, 2018
Anu Malik has been one of the judges on Indian Idol since the show first aired in 2004.